Basic Handguns II
Building on the material learned in Introduction to Handguns I, this course provides the student with even more foundational skills necessary to progress to our more advanced courses.
The goal of Basic Handguns II is to build on the information and refine the shooting fundamentals discussed and practiced in the Introduction to Handguns I course. Course participants will learn weapons handling skills, buttons and levers, loading and unloading, disassembly and cleaning, refined shooting mechanics, proper sight and trigger usage, and more. Instructors will work participants through both dry fire and live fire practice rounds.
Upon Course Completion Attendees will:
- Memorize the Cardinal Rules of Handgun Safety
- Discuss procedures for safe “best practices” of in-home firearm storage
- Receive an overview of legal rights and limitations regarding firearms
- Review basics of carry practices & holster selection – OWB, IWB, Shoulder, etc.
- Understand why you shoot at center mass when in a defensive situation
- Understand the detailed parts of a handgun along with their function:
- Basic field stripping of handguns & cleaning
- Build upon the fundamentals taught in Intro to Handguns I regarding shooting form
- Independently perform:
- Loading ammunition into their magazine or cylinder
- Insert the magazine into the gun/close the cylinder
- Manipulate the slide of the gun – Load a round into the chamber
- Reverse process – Safely unload a loaded firearm
- Fire their gun and reload
- Clear firearm round malfunctions
- Consistently fire and hit the intended target while performing correct shooting mechanics
Prerequisites & Requirements
- Complete Freedom Armory Intro to Handguns I or demonstrate competence of the below:
- Previously fired 100+ rounds of live handgun ammunition
- Verbal screening test via Freedom Armory store associate for anyone who is seeking to bypass taking Freedom Armory Intro to Handguns I
- Personal handgun or rented handgun from Freedom Armory
- 50-100 rounds of ammunition (purchased separately from class registration)
- Ear and eye protection (loaners available at class if needed)
NOTE: All items for sale or rent in our Pro-Shop. Please inquire at 717-227-9060.
This three-hour course includes two hours of classroom instruction followed by approximately one hour in the range, applying the shooting principles learned and demonstrated in the classroom.
If you question the appropriateness of this course as relates to your experience level, please contact us.