Introduction to Handguns I
A course for persons new to shooting with handguns.
In this course, attendees will learn the fundamentals of handguns, basic shooting techniques and receive a brief overview of PA laws concerning firearms use. The course is a 3-hour, single-day course, that includes 2 hours of classroom time and 1 hour of range time. Each attendee should bring their own firearm or use a rental handgun that can be procured on-site before the class. This provides a great platform for first-time shooters and moderate beginners to learn and practice the basic responsibilities and proficiencies of handgun ownership.
Upon course completion, attendees will:
- Review the Cardinal Rules of Handgun Safety
- Understand the basic principles of what a firearm is
- Review firearms malfunctions
- Review the primary components of a handgun
- Review basic shooting fundamentals
- Receive a brief overview of legal rights and limitations regarding firearms
- On their own learn to:
- Operate the basic functions of a handgun
- Load ammunition into a magazine or cylinder
- Manipulate the slide of a pistol
- Fire their firearm and reload
- Receive knowledge and references to know where to go for further information/education.
- Options for next-level courses
Prerequisites & Requirements
- Personal handgun or rented handgun from Freedom Armory
- 50-100 rounds of ammunition (purchased separately from class registration)
- Ear and eye protection (loaners available at class if needed)
NOTE: All items for sale or rent in our Pro-Shop. Please inquire at 717-227-9060.
This three-hour course includes two hours of classroom instruction followed by approximately one hour in the range, applying the shooting principles learned and demonstrated in the classroom.